Fund Purpose Provides support to Saint John's Lutheran Church in Lanesville, Indiana.
Fund Story In 2005, Mary Anna Reinhardt Mangeot established the St. John’s Lutheran Church Fund with the desire to make a lasting gift to her church. The fund provides perpetual support to St. John’s Lutheran Church in Lanesville, Indiana. Mary welcomed and encouraged others to donate to this fund.
St. John’s Lutheran Church was founded in 1846 by 30 immigrants from the province of Nassau in central Germany. The founders built a plain log church, and the current structure was built in 1870.
The congregation has been affiliated with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod since 1862. St. John’s is one of the oldest and largest parishes in Harrison County. St. John’s Lutheran School was established in 1861. St. John’s believes each child is a unique creation of God and its purpose is to provide a quality education, academically and spiritually. The school educates preschool through eighth grade students.
Mary was born in Lanesville on April 17, 1919, and was baptized at St. John’s. Her great-grandfather acquired land in Lanesville in 1837 and was a founder of the church. Mary’s grandparents and parents were married at St. John’s.
After living much of her life in Louisville, Mary and her husband, Adolph (Dick) Mangeot, returned to Lanesville and her home church in 1982. Mary became very active at her church, especially in its local missions work. She was the Human Care Chairman of the Lutheran Women’s Missionary League, and she participated in the St. John’s Arts and Crafts Club and the St. John’s Joy Group.
Mary’s enthusiasm for helping others was evident throughout her work within her church and throughout many other endeavors. She volunteered for countless area organizations. Whether she was delivering food for a food pantry or potting daylilies for a Habitat for Humanity fundraiser, Mary’s volunteerism soared.
Mary and Adolph had three children: Richard, Marcia and Bradley. They also had three granddaughters. Mary passed away on May 27, 2014, and Adolph is also deceased.
Mary’s dedication to her church was profound, and she wished to make a meaningful, lasting gift. By creating this legacy, Mary has ensured that she can continue to support her church in perpetuity.
Fund Impact: 2012 - Sealed the parking lot. 2013 - Supported the church secretary salary. 2014 - Supported the church secretary salary. 2015 - Supported the church secretary salary. 2017 - To support operations.