Fund Purpose Provides support to St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Corydon, Indiana.
Fund Story The five children of Wenonah T. Pendleton created this fund at the Harrison County Community Foundation in 2006 in memory of their mother. The St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church Fund provides support to the church, specifically for building construction or remodeling projects and local church endeavors.
The St. Peter's Lutheran Evangelical Church Congregation originated in 1852 and soon held their first services in a 24' x 36' log cabin that they built. The current structure, located on St. Peter's Church Road in Corydon, was built in 1880. The church is around 150 members strong and actively works to promote the teachings of Christ within the congregation and throughout the community.
Wenonah Pendleton of New Middletown passed away February 2006. She was a native of Harrison County, born here on February 9, 1915. She was the daughter of Henry F. and Henrietta Kraft Winterkorn. Wenonah was a graduate of New Middletown High School where she was a member of the girls' basketball team. She was a long time member of the New Middletown Home Economics Club and Royal Neighbors of America.
Wenonah was a very active and dedicated member at the church who taught Sunday School for many years. She was baptized at the church and was a lifelong member. "Since my father died many years ago this church has been her life, along with her children and grandchildren," said Wenonah's son Gordon Pendleton. Wenonah is buried in the church cemetery.
Wenonah's children are Nancy Cowee of Arora, Colorado, J. Gordon Pendleton of Corydon, Henry Polk Pendleton of Nabb, Sharon Timberlake of Lanesville and Larry Pendleton of Laguna Beach, California. Some of Wenonah's children and grandchildren are members of the church as well.
Fund Impact: 2008: Kick-off of the St. Peter's Lutheran Church Building Fundraising Campaign. 2009: Current expenses, drawing plans for a new parish hall. 2011: Remodeling and operating expenses. 2013: Paid for capital purchases, ministries, and repairs. 2016: Restored eight stained glass windows in sanctuary and printed booklet with history of the stained glass windows.